Saturday, November 1, 2008

U of A Foods Laboratory Dedication

Since I am always looking for an excuse to visit the University of Arkansas when the maple trees are putting on their dazzling display of color, I was delighted to receive an invitation to the 10th Annual School of Human Environmental Sciences Homecoming Breakfast held this morning on the Fayetteville campus. The highlight of today's event was to be the dedication of the newly renovated Donald and Linda Wray Foods Laboratory. Since I had spent many hours in that food lab during my college years, I was eager to see how it had changed to reflect the world of the 21st century. The basic "footprint" of the space is the same, but it has been updated with ventilation hoods over the cook tops (there was no overhead ventilation when I had classes there), plus the old, slow draining sinks have been replaced with deeper ones with state of the art fixtures. New appliances, including an institutional-size ice maker round out the furnishings. I am pictured behind two counter top mixers in the lower right hand corner, and the U of A staff member that was the "general" in command of the changes is pictured in the upper left hand corner. She is Donna Graham, Associate Dean of the Dale Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food, and Life Sciences. I say "Hats Off!" (or should that be "Chef Hats Off!) to a job well done! Miles of smiles! Tricia Turner
Posted by Picasa