Sunday, April 26, 2009

NBC Today Show Expedition

For decades, I have watched those ridiculous-looking people who stand on the sidelines---waving madly, holding up tacky signs, and screaming like wild animals---as the NBC weatherman tried to tell his TV audience what to expect in the way of temperature, rain, wind, etc.; yet, when the NBC Today Show's Al Roker came to Branson Landing this past weekend to do his weather broadcast, I realized I might never have another opportunity to see such a production in person, so I decided to become one of those ridiculous-looking people myself! The fact that the weather last Friday was absolutely the most gorgeous day we have had all spring, figured heavily into my decision to make the pre-dawn drive to Branson to be part of the show. In the top photo, Al Roker is shown interviewing Branson entertainers Andy Williams (as in Moon River), and Righteous Brother Bill Medley (as in "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling").
In the wide angle shot, with the fountains and Lake Taneycomo in the background, Roker was joking around with comedian Yakov Smirnoff , who also has a theater in Branson.
It seemed everybody there was on their cellphone, calling anyone who would answer, to let them know they were on the Today Show. This included Al Roker, himself, who, no doubt, was phoning his wife to see if she was watching!
At least I wasn't standing on my head to get attention, which is exactly what the Acrobats of China did, in one of the segments! Back in Arkansas, I had my DVR set to record the show, and after watching the playback just now, I saw that I actually did make my NBC television debut on April 24, 2009! I found myself in the crowd, standing in the background, as Roker interviewed the Lennon Sisters, who were part of the Celebrity Chefs demonstrating their culinary talents for the Great American Pie Show later that day. I would love to write more, but I need to go wait by the phone for the talent scouts who will soon be contacting me to sign me up for future television appearances! :) Miles of smiles! Tricia