Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A WALKING EXPEDITION!

Have you ever stopped to think what a WONDERFUL blessing it is to be able to walk? Since I worked in health care for over thirty years, I saw early in my career, numerous instances of patients unable to walk due to injuries, birth defects, illness, accidents, amputations, paralysis, and various disease states. One of these disease states is obesity. Since I am a Registered Dietitian, it was my job to try to help obese patients reduce their body weight, so that they would once again be able to walk. I tried to educate patients on how to eat in a manner that would help them lose the extra pounds they carried, and I tried to educate them on the importance of physical activity. Unless they were completely paralyzed, I usually tried to encourage them to try to increase the walking that they did. Walking is not only a way to help your physical status, it is also a great way to help your mental status. If you walk with a friend, it can even improve your emotional status! But there is a fourth component to total well-being, and that is spiritual status.

Starting Wednesday, January 5, at 6 PM, I will be leading a new session of First Place 4 Health. The study book we are using for this 13-week session will address that fourth component of total well-being, which is the spiritual component. The book is called "Walking in Grace", and is pictured in this photograph. We will meet weekly for about one and one-half hours, on Wednesday evenings, and we would love to have YOU join us! If this is something that you might be interested in, you can email me at triciaturnerfirstplace@yahoo.com, and I will try to answer any questions you have about our meetings. You can also log on to www.FirstPlace4Health.com for general information about this very successful, healthy living program, that has been helping people around the country for over 3 decades. So come, walk with us, for miles of smiles! Tricia
Posted by Picasa