Saturday, November 22, 2014

WRM EXPEDITION!

The White River Marathon is well-established event that takes participants along the beautiful White River, in Cotter, Arkansas.  It is a Boston Marathon Qualifier Race.  It consists of a full marathon, a half marathon, and a 5K.  
 2014 marks the 11th year for the White River Marathon for Kenya ( www.whiterivermarathon.com ), and one of my "rituals" of this event, has been to get a photo made with David and Roxanne Johnson.  This year was no exception!  The Johnsons have had the opportunity to travel to Katito, Kenya, and be an eye witness to the benefits that the community has received, from the thousands of dollars raised by the White River Marathon. 
The
photo with the Johnsons took place before the race, and this photo with my friend Diane Quinn, took place after the race.  We were both very stoked to have won a medal in our age division!

At the finish line, I wanted a photo with the Race Director, Paul Gigliotti.  That too, is a bit of a tradition, because I had a photo made at the very first race with the kind lady who originally envisioned this worthwhile event---Laurie Kaysinger---who served as the Race Director for many years.  Next year the race is scheduled for Saturday, November 21, 2015.  It is limited to 700 participants, and since it completely filled up this year, I would recommend that you get your application in early!  Registration opens January 30, 2015. 
I have a collection of
cotton tee shirts with this logo on it in just about every color imaginable.  This years tee shirt starts a new trend, however, as it is the new light-weight, quick drying synthetic fabric that many races are switching to.  Also, the logo and print appear pale gray, but when light shines on the pale gray it glows bright white!  Since one of my first status updates on Facebook after the race was "PTL", which means "PRAISE THE LORD", it seems appropriate that this would be an appropriate visual aid for one of my First Place 4 Health ( www.FirstPlace4Health.com ) memory verses that starts out with "PTL"!  It says, "Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits."  Psalm 103:2    You can be sure that I am praising the LORD for the White River Marathon/Half Marathon/5K, and praising the LORD that I was able to finish the 5K with a first place medal for my age division!  Likewise, I am praising all the race workers, volunteers, and businesses who donated money and supplies to make it such a success!  You have given us 11 years, filled with "MILES OF SMILES"!  Tricia