Saturday, January 5, 2013

SMITH ROCK EXPEDITION

 Years ago, when I first found out that my son would be moving to Oregon, to complete his residency training, to become a physician, I was at a National Tour Association conference, where I could talk to Oregon tourism representatives, about what their state had to offer.  When I would mention that my son was moving there, in part, because he was a big fan of rock climbing, the Oregon official would invariably say, "Oh, you will want to learn all about Smith Rock, in that case."  That was the first I ever heard of Smith Rock. 
 With their help, I learned that this world-famous climbing location is located within Smith Rock State Park ( www.oregonstateparks.org ), in Central Oregon's High Desert region.
 Most of its sheer cliffs are formed from tuff (consolidated volcanic ash) and basalt (cooled lava).  The park contains over 1,000 climbing routes, at all levels.  Some of the climbing routes are bolted, which means that a permanent anchor has been fixed into a hole, drilled into the rock.  Smith Rock has the distinction of having the first United States climbing route  rated 5.14, which means extremely challenging. 
 Since Smith Rock is considered the birthplace of modern American sport climbing (according to www.wikipedia.org ), it is not surprising that my research on the topic eventually led me to an organization, headquartered in nearby Bend, Oregon, that is called Solid Rock Climbers for Christ ( www.srcfc.org ).  I have been donating to their non-profit ministry for many years, and have great respect for their mission.  They have produced a fantastic climbing DVD, filmed on Smith Rock's Crossfire Route, that is available free of charge by emailing  office@srcfc.org .  You can also watch excerpts of the DVD on their website.  I like the "movie tagline" for the video that says "CROSSFIRE - featuring an insignificant climber sharing a significant message."  The film features SRCFC National Director, Calvin Landrus, climbing the Crossfire Route (rated 5.12b).
 The reason I am posting these photos of Smith Rock now, even though it was a few years back that I visited there, is because these are the images that popped into my mind , when I started trying to visualize the word "desert", that is in the Week 4 of Motivated to Wellness study I am doing with others in my community ( www.myfbcmh.com ).  My goal is to post photographs on my blog that will help me memorize each of our 10 memory verses in this session of First Place 4 Health ( www.FirstPlace4Health.com ).  Everything you read about Smith Rock talks about it being in the HIGH DESERT---so here is the verse from Isaiah 43:19 that I am working on: "See, I am doing a new thing!  Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?  I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland."   It is interesting that for centuries, Scripture has told us it was wise to "hide God's Word in our hearts---that is, memorize it."  Now, scientifically controlled, double-blind studies are showing that people who keep their minds active all their lives, can slow the onset of dementia and age-related memory loss!!  All sorts of books on "mind exercises" and "mental sharpness practices" are being advertised to us Baby Boomers.  Being the frugal person I am, my choice for "mind exercises" is to memorize God's Word.  I have complete confidence that doing so will give me MILES OF SMILES in the days ahead!  Tricia
Posted by Picasa