Sunday, December 7, 2008

Mountain Majesty

I can completely agree with this quote by former U.S. President, Theodore Roosevelt: "I consider the evening twilight on Mt. Shasta one of the grandest sights I have ever witnessed." I took this photo last week while walking through the Living Memorial Sculpture Garden at the base of Mount Shasta. The origin of the name, "Shasta," is not known for sure, but one hypothesis says that it may be from a Russian word meaning "pure". That word "pure" is also how I would describe the drinking water flowing into people's homes in Mt. Shasta----it was the best I had ever tasted! In the photo above, the tallest peak is Mount Shasta, and the prominent satellite cone to the right is called Shastina (the Russian diminutive form of Shasta). I wonder if the numerous cans of diet Shasta-brand soda I drank when I was pregnant with my son, is the reason he now resides in the town of the same name ? Food for thought??--no, beverage for thought! Miles of smiles! Tricia
Posted by Picasa