Saturday, June 25, 2022

BNR 50-MILE, 50-YEAR BIRTHDAY EXPEDITION!


 2022 marks the 50th Anniversary of the creation of the Buffalo National River:

 
To commemorate the 50 years, they developed a special logo.  The blue background represents the bluffs that line much of the river.  Notice  also, the reflection  below the modern day paddler, of a Native American in a primitive canoe :



This blog has photos of the various parts of BNR that I visited during its 50th anniversary year.

One can log their miles (on foot, by bicycle, or padding) within BNR and get an embroidered patch (after logging 50 miles) with the logo.  One can go to www.nps.gov/buff to download and print the form.  You have until the end of 2022 to complete your fifty miles.  A photo of the record sheet is shown below:


 

 

One of the records I included, was the hiking trails near the deserted mining town of Rush, Arkansas.  There is a "ghost town" at Rush, with remains of buildings from when it was a mining boom town:


There are hiking trails on the mountain above the ghost town of Rush


 The trail at Rush takes you by equipment left there, from its days as a zinc mine, called Morning Star:
The trail will also lead you to the very scenic Clabber Creek, a tributary to the Buffalo National River:
Another nice winter hike towards my fifty miles, was taken with my hiking group, starting at the Ozark Campground in Newton County:


The icicles I am posing behind in this photo can be a clue that this hike took place on a cold day in January!


 

The chilly temperatures made a fire at our lunch spot a welcome bit of warmth!

This lunch spot is called Cedar Glade and is an enjoyable hike from Ozark Campground:
One needs to keep in mind there may be some water crossings when you hike this section:
Many paddlers put their boats in at Ozark campgound, but the only creature I saw paddling on the day I was there, was a deer in the river!








Another stop on my journey to get fifty miles was Tyler Bend.

I had come to Tyler Bend to do some volunteer work with the Arkansas Master Naturalists  (www.ArkansasMasterNaturalists.org), in the native plant garden at the visitor center:
When we finished, we had a sack lunch at the park pavilion:

The river was flowing great from recent rains:

After lunch, I explored the paved path from the river launch:

 It leads over to the group campground:


Another interesting site at Tyler Bend is the Collier Homestead:

Behind the Collier Homestead there is a trail that leads to a scenic overlook:

When I was there, redbuds and dogwoods  were blooming.

Yet another part of the national park where I hiked, toward my fifty mile badge, was the Buffalo Point area.  The staff member on duty the day I visited, said I could take her photo:

I was there with a group of Arkansas Master Naturalists who came to study the wildflowers:


As we were studying these plants, my mind went back decades, to my very first science project, which was a requirement in the seventh grade.  I chose the subject of medicinal herbs, and persuaded my mother, and elderly uncle, Olney Rudd, to go with me into the Ozark woods, and teach me what they knew about old time plant remedies.  I took photos of our "expedition", and put it on the required poster board, and got an "A" for the project, but no first, second, or third place ribbon.  I determined to do better in the future, and how curious that I am still chasing after "prize ribbons" at my age--but this time in the form of a fifty-year BNR anniversary "ribbon"!   As a youth, I thought my purpose in life was to get as many awards, Girl Scout badges, and "A's" as possible.  I thought to be an OVERcomer, I needed to be an OVERachiever.   As I have aged, and started studying God's Word, however, it became evident to me that I had my focus on an ephemeral goal.  Now this First Place 4 Health (www.FirstPlace4Health.com) memory verse better expresses my goal: "Everyone born of God overcomes the world.  This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith.  Who is it that overcomes the world?  Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God."  I John 5:4-5

That being said, I still set earthly goals, like getting in fifty miles of activity at Buffalo River National park!  Hence, I volunteered to help with parking, whenever there was a day of live music concerts at Tyler Bend, within Buffalo National River boundaries.  The concert was made possible through a joint effort of the NPS and the Buffalo National River Partners (bnrpartners.org)

There was a professional stage and lighting erected for the event, and even included big electronic screens on each side of the stage, that would enable folks to see close-up photos of the bands that were performing:


The final event that "put me over the top", in terms of completing my fifty mile goal, was the "Longest Day River Cleanup", that is held annually around the time of the summer solstice.  Our group started at Tyler Bend, equipped with trash bags, gloves, shovels, grabbing tools, and plenty of drinking water!  The photo below shows the strikingly beautiful bluff we paddled by, at Tyler Bend:


Between Tyler Bend and Gilbert, our fleet of about two dozen volunteers, and three BNR staff, picked up lots of trash, and had a fun time while we worked!  A pile of a portion of the refuse we collected, is shown in this photo taken at the end, by volunteer E. French:

In short, if you ever have the opportunity to explore Buffalo National River---JUST DO IT!  If you are like millions of other visitors, it will give you "MILES OF SMILES"!  Tricia

Addendum:  I received my much-sought-after 50-miler patch and certificate in the mail today!  Challenge met and gratitude expressed!