Thursday, September 4, 2008

Blue suede shoes

It had to be for this very photograph showing a historic moment in family history, that my beloved grandmother, Effie Rudd Parrish, had carefully put away these blue suede shoes into her cedar chest before she died in the 1980's. They had laid there quietly until the next century, when my sister and I came across them when we were going through the belongings of Effie's daugher, following her death in 2007. Not wanting to part with them, but having absolutely no use for them, I sat them aside so they would not be included in the box of apparel destined for the charity thrift store. Then the opportunity came to visit Cleveland, Ohio, home of the Rock and Roll Museum/Hall of Fame. It occurred to me that since the song "Blue Suede Shoes" had to be a part of that museum's history, I should wear these shoes when I visited the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame. I did this and the photo with this post shows the evidence of this event. Following an imaginary "drum roll" in my head and the sound of Elvis belting out his warning to not step on his blue suede shoes, I wore my granny's lace-up slippers into this rock and roll version of the Chrystal Cathedral. I can just see my granny "kicking up her heels" in heaven to see that her bright-colored shoes, which were a bit out-of-character for her usually subdued attire, had made it to The Museum of their destiny. Following a time of silence in her honor, I gave the shoes to a local travel industry official for Cleveland, knowing that I had completed my task.
Posted by Picasa